Thursday, February 12, 2009

Masking Fluid

Q: Hi Birgit, Yayyyy, I did find your book under my Christmas tree (Watercolour in Motion)....it is better than expected! I have looked through many books on the subject and yours is by far the best..honestly. :) Will look forward to your next book. I have a question for you, if you have the time to answer: I have used masking several times in the past and it was always a 50/50 type deal as to wether it would come off without taking the sizing off the paper. I ruined several paintings and wasted a lot of good paper because of it so I stopped using it. However the type of painting I enjoy doing really does need some blocking out with it. Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? I did try putting a little dish soap in with it as suggested but it didnt help. Thanks for the e-mail re: your new book release Always a pleasure to peruse your site.
Cindy D. Toronto

A:
Hi Cindy I really don't use it much and have not had too many problems with it but here are some ideas o why it may not be working. perhaps it is the brand - I prefer Pebeo drawing gum W&N is ok too.
It might be old - old fluid can stick.
If you leave it in the sun or use a hair dryer it can bake on.
If you leave it on the paper for a long period of time it can stick. (I have left it on some demos for years and it still come off but I have heard about others having the same problems as you.
Hope this helps
Birgit

No comments:

Post a Comment