Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Out of State Workshops - Postponed

It is with a heavy heart I will have to postpone many of my out of State (California) workshops due to health issues. In May of 2007 I came down with Bells Palsy, in 2008 I came down other health problems only to find out that these were all symptoms of Lymes / Babesia (tick diseases) -the price I paid for long walks in nature. During this time I requested Lymes testing from my doctors and twice the results came back negative along with clinical misdiagnoses.

It is very common to have false negative or false positive results with Lymes testing. Fortunately it was one of my students that directed me to a lab (Igenex), which is known for the most accurate testing available and for that I will be forever grateful. After a more extensive full panel test I ended up with positive for Lymes result along with another tick co-infection. I have been treated since August of 2008 but unfortunately my test results still show an aggressive form of Lymes. So at this time we will be changing my treatments to more aggressive form making it more difficult for me to travel long distances but I do plan to be better soon.

My hope in sharing my illness with you is to bring awareness to Lymes Disease and other tick born diseases. Lymes is extremely difficult to diagnose as I said most tests are useless. If you do ever decide that you need a test - please consider an extensive full panel test that takes about three weeks for results not three days.

Lymes is the great imposter and mimics many other diseases such as MS, Lupus, Alzheimer's, Fibromyalgia, Parkinson's etc. and is very difficult to diagnose. The average time for a diagnosis is 22 months and 7 doctors later, not to mention thousands of dollars, and then finding a doctor that understands Lymes is another story.

If you have an unexplained illness, extreme fatigue, one thing after another going wrong, or the doctors think it is in your head please consider a really good Lymes test through Igenex.

If you are interested in more information or wish to contact me with any questions please visit my blog Bells Palsy / Lymes or email me at mailto:birgitoconnor@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment