Skip to main content

Setting up your Palette

   

I am often asked how to set up a palette. 
You will get many different answers because each artist is individual and it's really personal.

Some set it up with complementary colors on  either side of the palette, other artists by temperature etc etc. I originally set mine up by the family of color- yellows, reds etc. starting with the colors I use most often,  then leaving empty wells in between so I could fill them with colors I might try later. I keep all of my extra colors in tubes.

Some artists fill their wells with color and let them dry in between paintings (which I don't I like fresh color because it moves better)  if I still have color left in my well after painting I cover it with the lid. If it dries, 
before starting the next painting. I will add another fresh squirt  to the existing color (about the size of a Lima bean).

When teaching a workshop I don't expect the students to have their palette set up exactly the I do (If they can, it's great) but if they are already familiar with their pallet I would prefer them to place the colors that we are using as a class and put them where it makes sense to them. Otherwise it can be one more distraction during the learning process.

Comments

  1. I need to start setting up my palette like this - at the moment I just squirt it on as I go along and end up in a bit of a mess!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Warm & Cool Colors

Have you ever wondered about warm and cool colors and whats the difference. Warm color appear to move forward while cooler colors recede into the background. That's why when painting a landscape I prefer to use warm colors in the foreground then move to cooler colors and lighter values (meaning more water) in the background. If I was working on a floral I prefer to use warm or even a mix of color in the flower then use cooler colors in the shadows to give depth to my subject. 


Warm Colors Cadmium Yellow Pale, New Gamboge, Cadmium Yellow, Winsor Yellow Deep, Indian Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Cadmium Orange, Winsor Orange, Winsor Orange (Red Shade). Cadmium Scarlet, Scarlet Lake, Cadmium Red, Winsor Red, Rose Doré, Quinacridone Red, Opera Rose, Quinacridone Magenta, Permanent Magenta, Cobalt Violet, Permanent Mauve, Winsor Violet (Dioxazine), Cobalt Blue Deep, French Ultramarine, Ultramarine, (Green Shade), Winsor Blue (Red Shade), Cerulean Blue (Red Shade), Winsor Green (Yellow Sha…

Glazing (layering) in watercolor

Glazing is a term for layering or stacking color, for instance think of different sheets of colored glass or tissue paper one stacked on top of the other. You are able to see through the transparent layers to the ones below, glazing in watercolor is the same idea but instead using thin washes of transparent color. For the cleanest color mixing and purest glazes use only the most transparent color. The reason is these colors allow light to pass through and reflect off of the papers surface leaving beautiful jewel-like effects.
Here are only a few of the transparent colors you may want to consider, New Gamboge, Indian Yellow, Winsor Red, Alizarin Crimson, Carmine, Permanent Rose, Quinacridone Magenta, Winsor Violet (Dioxazine), Indanthrene Blue, French Ultramarine, Cobalt Blue, Antwerp Blue, Prussian Blue, Viridian, Winsor Green (Yellow Shade), Perylene Green, Hooker’s Green, Permanent Sap Green among others.
More opaque the colors have a greater coverage and are useful to tone down color…

Tips: Tools to Apply Masking Fluid

Most often people will use an old brush, incredible nib or Masquepen but depending on the flow, coverage and detail you want. There are a couple of other things you can try.
Lets say you want a nice continual flow of fluid to leave detail areas white. Consider an embossing tool (used for paper, foil, clay etc) or a calligraphy pen, both feel good in your hand and hold a nice amount of fluid. The flow of masking or drawing gum can also depend on the brand you use. Personally I like Pebeo drawing gum because it's thinner and applies easily.
Examples from students
 When signing paintings with a dark backgrounds Karen Richards like to use a Calligraphy pen to her apply masking. Once the composition is created she applies a light wash, lets it dry then signs her name. She will then continue with the painting then when done remove the masking to reveal her signature.
Karen Richards
Calligraphy pen
Pebeo Drawing gum
Revealed signature --- To get basically the same results Linda likes to use an e…